Sunday, March 12, 2006

Jumbo - the king

Image hosting by Photobucket


I always look at this man, Anil Kumble with awe and disbelief. I watched him play every match that he is chosen to play as if it is the last of his life. I must admit that, inspite of realizing that India has still a long time to go before they can win a test match without Kumbles meaningful contribution, I was among those who wanted him to be dropped for Indias tour Down Under last time around. But he proved me and many others like me who doubted his ability wrong, for the nth time.

His reaching the mile stone of 500 wickets in tests is a tribute to his perseverence and self belief. He definitely deserved an oppurtunity to captain India at some point in 16 years of his career but was sadly never considered for captaincy. Considering the kind of sportsman he is and his commitment to his team(bowling with a broken jaw to take Lara's wicket), I hope he is given a lot of say in Indian cricket team selection, once he retires from International cricket. If some one like More (whose only claim to fame is getting on Miandad's nerve with his incessant bashing during a world cup match in 92) can be the chief of selectors, I believe I am not asking for too much.

No comments: